Friday, March 28, 2014

Why Generic Drugs Can Be The Better Choice

By Carol Taylor


Several years ago, I went to the doctor for a sinus infection. While waiting for the doctor to return with a prescription, I happened to look over and notice that every jar, pen, notepad, etc. on the counter had the name of a recently released brand name antibiotic. Sure enough, when the doctor returned, it was for that particular drug. I asked the doctor what the cost of the drug was, since I was covered under a high-deductible health plan (HDHP) and would be paying the full cost. When he responded that it would run about $360 for six pills, I immediately demanded a generic prescription. The generic drug was less than $15 and took care of the infection. To add insult to injury, no one knew at the time, but the brand name later was found to have some unknown side effects -- several people died, and the drug was “black-boxed” by the FDA shortly thereafter and removed from the market. I was quite glad that my frugal side had taken over when I read that in the news.

Click here for entire article.

No comments:

Post a Comment