Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Tip Tuesday: Fend Off Allergies!

As April lingers before us and spring is in full bloom, it's no wonder many of us are suffering from allergies. This morning I checked my e-mail and found a great article in my inbox from RealAge, an Allergy Alert bulletin with some very helpful tips.

This article on Avoiding Allergens I found to be most helpful.

The Highlights:
1. Be strategic about outdoor activities.
2. Shower off -- pets, too.
3. Protect indoor air.
4. Wash and dry

On another note, we've all heard that eating well is synonymous with maintaining a healthy weight and lifestyle, but what about diet having an effect on allergies?

According to RealAge, "One dietary approach in particular has mounting research behind it. Studies suggest that a Mediterranean-style diet may have benefits for people with allergies. In fact, cultures that subsist on Mediterranean diets have a much lower incidence of allergy and asthma than here in the United States." Click here to read how the delicious and nutritious elements of this approach to eating may help.

I don't know about you but I have definitely been bit by the allergy bug this year. My mom sent me a link this week to pollen.com - where you can actually check the pollen forecast in your area! Might be a good resource to use when planning your outdoor activities - strategically that is. Just like we watch the weather channel every morning, maybe we should get into the habit of checking our allergy forecast too - at least for you and I suffering from the spring sniffles!

Until next week,
Michelle D.

No comments:

Post a Comment