Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Tip of the Week: Change the Direction of Someone's Life!

My sincere apologies for not posting the Benefit Advisors Tip Tuesday yesterday. I am currently participating in the Chamber's Leadership Ocala program as a member of Class XXIII, the "best class ever," and was out of the office all day for one of our class sessions.

Yesterday's session focused on the Justice system in Marion County. Our class started the day off at the Marion County Courthouse, where we sat in on some trials, including first appearances and a DUI criminal case. We then toured the county jail, the Marion County Sheriff's Office and finally the Ocala Police Department.
What an interesting day it proved to be! I walked away with an overwhelming sense of pride in my local law enforcement departments and an appreciation for the selfless work of our justice system employees.

It also got me thinking just how lucky I am. Lucky to have a job, lucky to have had the opportunity to receive a college degree, and most importantly, lucky to have the love and support of my wonderful family & friends. It is due to the lack of many of these factors that people make their way through the justice system and ultimately land themselves in jail - or even worse - prison. Yesterday's experience was definitely an eye-opening one. It made me realize that I shouldn't take the blessings in my life for granted. However, it also made me realize the importance of supporting our local agencies that help those less fortunate in our communities.

I am very pleased to work for an organization that values and supports various non-profits in our area. It is because of these agencies that we can help give back to those that don't have a strong family unit or help the uneducated complete their schooling and find solid paying jobs. It is this support that will help eliminate the number of individuals that turn to crime.

So my tip for you today is, "give back!" No matter how big or small, just take some time to give back to your community. It will help in more ways than one. If you can help change the direction of one person's life, then that is the best gift of all.

----
Now, I would just like to take a minute to brag about the generous contributions of my organization, Benefit Advisors.

We currently volunteer and donate to the following:
1. Marion County Chamber of Commerce
2. Economic Development Council
3. United Way of Marion County
4. United Way of Marion County Day of Caring
5. Heart of Florida Health Center
6. Heart of Florida's Lose To Win Challenge
7. Marion County Literacy Council
8. Kiwanis Club of Ocala
9. Boy Scouts of America
10. Pace Center for Girls
11. Wounded Warriors Ride 2 Recovery
12. Devereux Kids
13. Salvation Army
14. UnitedHealthcare Children's Foundation, Inc.
----
Until Next Week,
Michelle D.

No comments:

Post a Comment