Monday, January 11, 2010

Health Tip: Ditch the Idea All "Health" Foods Are Really Healthy...

As my stomach started churning just before lunch today, I started to ponder where I should grab a quick – yet healthy – bite to eat. That’s when the Zaxby’s Zalad popped into my head, comprised of all the vegetable goodness you can imagine, topped with a protein boost of grilled chicken and a side of raspberry vinaigrette. I was one foot out the door to fulfill my craving, when I decided to check the nutritional facts on Zaxby’s Web site. Boy, Oh, Boy was I shocked to find out the grilled chicken house Zalad has 604 calories and 39 grams of fat, and that doesn’t even include the dressing! Are you serious? That’s more grams of fat than a Big Mac.

Sure, I’m aware there are hidden calories and fat in almost any take-out style meal, but I never would have guessed a grilled chicken salad could be so problematic. However, upon close inspection of the nutritional information, I realized I can still eat on the fast-track every now and then, I just need to make a few modifications. For example, the major perpetrators of the Zalad’s demise are the fried onions, the cheddar cheese and the Texas toast, accounting for 34 of the 39 grams of fat.

My advice? Next time you’re ordering on-the-go, be a little more cognizant of exactly what makes up your healthy alternative to fast food. In this case, it’s as simple as asking them to leave off the onions, ditching the toast and going light on the cheese. Ta-da! your Zalad is now comparable in nutritional value to a homemade one.

Remember, do your homework too! In the spirit of becoming more aware of what really makes up these healthy alternatives, check out this great article by Fitness Magazine, “10 Diet Foods That Make You Fat.” I bet you’ve fallen prey to at least one of these diet traps. I know I have!

Have a similar story? I'd love to hear your feedback and experiences...

Until next week,
Michelle D.

1 comment:

  1. We are your one-stop destination for all things social media marketing! Our panel is designed to empower businesses, influencers, and individuals to maximize their online presence and reach through strategic social media promotion.SMM Panel

    ๐Ÿ“Š Our Services:
    ๐Ÿ”น Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, TikTok, and more!
    ๐Ÿ”น Real followers, likes, comments, and shares
    ๐Ÿ”น Targeted engagement and growth
    ๐Ÿ”น Content creation and scheduling
    ๐Ÿ”น Analytics and insights

    ReplyDelete